The Ownt Gaming Community
Welcome to The Ownt Gaming Community,

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest, which gives you limited access to viewing most discussions and other features of our website. By joining our free community, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple, and absolutely free, so please join our community today!

If you already have a account with us, simply log in.

Sincerely,
The Ownt Gaming Community Administration Team

**Please note that you must post an application and be accepted before you can put on Ownt Tags**
Welcome to The Ownt Gaming Community,

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest, which gives you limited access to viewing most discussions and other features of our website. By joining our free community, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple, and absolutely free, so please join our community today!

If you already have a account with us, simply log in.

Sincerely,
The Ownt Gaming Community Administration Team

**Please note that you must post an application and be accepted before you can put on Ownt Tags**
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Welcome to the Ownt Gaming Community Forums!

HomeHomePageLatest imagesMemberlistRegisterLog in
Hello All!
The Forums have been archived
>>> Click Here <<<
To Read all about it

Time for an update

Go down 
+3
Lee
DeV
Rune
7 posters

Should I use my new CPU right away?
Hell Yes!
Time for an update I_vote_lcap0%Time for an update I_vote_rcap
 0% [ 0 ]
Wait for the new rig
Time for an update I_vote_lcap100%Time for an update I_vote_rcap
 100% [ 5 ]
Why did you buy AMD when Intel is clearly superior?
Time for an update I_vote_lcap0%Time for an update I_vote_rcap
 0% [ 0 ]
Total Votes : 5

AuthorMessage
Rune
Senior Administrator v.5 TechGuru
Rune

Forum Administrator
Server Administrator
Tech Guru

Time for an update Empty
PostSubject: Time for an update   Time for an update Icon_minitimeFri Feb 01, 2013 3:59 am

Wow 2013 already? Seems just like yesterday that I built my current rig and was doing some hardcore gaming on it. Little did I realize that almost 5 years had passed since I built my current rig. 2013 was deemed as the year I would build a new rig, a better rig. Now that I'm caught up on my bills and other expenses I can go wild on building a new PC.

So tonight I took the first step into building my new PC, I ordered my new CPU. It was a decent cost of $230 after taxes (got free next day shipping on it thanks to a special going on where I order my parts from). I ordered the AMD FX-8350 8 Core AM3+ CPU. This thing has each core running at 4GHz with both the L2 and L3 caches with 8MB of storage (totaling 16MB).

I'm currently using a AMD Athlon 2 X4 running at 2.61GHz a core. As you can see the new CPU is a huge improvement over the one I am currently using. As of now this is all I have been able to get my new tower started. Below are the other changes I want to try and make to make myself a godly rig.

3TB Hard Drive
Blu Ray Burner/Reader
Nvidia 680 Graphics Card (Or whatever the best card is by the time I can afford it)
32GB of DDR3 RAM
Windows 8 Pro 64bit
1500watt Power Supply

Let me know what you think. On top of all this do you guys think I should try out the new CPU right away or save it for the new rig? Let me know in the poll.
Back to top Go down
DeV
Administrator v.5
Administrator v.5
DeV

Forum Administrator
Server Administrator
2000+ Posts
CoD4 1.7 Player

Time for an update Empty
PostSubject: Re: Time for an update   Time for an update Icon_minitimeFri Feb 01, 2013 4:06 am

I say wait for the new rig, also, based on reviews and recommendations, Windows 8 is meant for touch screens it's limited with non-touch screen monitors. This is what I've heard and read though and it is your rig, so you do as you please Smile
Back to top Go down
https://www.facebook.com/TrainWreker
Lee
Senior Member v.5
Senior Member v.5
Lee

1000+ Posts
CoD1 1.3 Player
CoD4 1.7 Player

Time for an update Empty
PostSubject: Re: Time for an update   Time for an update Icon_minitimeFri Feb 01, 2013 5:04 am

Sounds like a pretty sweet set-up, Rune.

I'd say to wait until you get the new rig.

What site(s) do you buy your computer parts from? Just curious, because in a few months I'd like to build my own gaming rig.

Also, is Windows 8 any good for gaming? I know very, very little about it.
Back to top Go down
Rune
Rune

Forum Administrator
Server Administrator
Tech Guru

Time for an update Empty
PostSubject: Re: Time for an update   Time for an update Icon_minitimeFri Feb 01, 2013 6:37 am

I have used Windows 8 before and it is basically a slightly cleaned up version of Windows 7, it does have touch screen support but it is not exclusively made for touch screen monitors.

I buy my parts from www.ncix.com, it's a Canadian company that is way better and cheaper than TigerDirect.
Back to top Go down
Romanian
Senior Administrator v.5
Senior Administrator v.5

CoD4 Leader
Forum Administrator
Server Administrator
4000+ Posts
CoD1 1.3 Player
CoD1 1.5 Player
CoD2 1.2 Player
CoD4 1.6 Player
CoD4 1.7 Player
Artist

Time for an update Empty
PostSubject: Re: Time for an update   Time for an update Icon_minitimeFri Feb 01, 2013 3:56 pm

The website shows it for $189.99 Eeek

I would wait until you have everything (new motherboard as well) to build it.

Also, I would save up my money to buy everything at once. You never know what they're going to release next, and you don't want to be stuck with outdated components by the time you have everything.
Back to top Go down
http://romanian-a.deviantart.com/
Rune
Rune

Forum Administrator
Server Administrator
Tech Guru

Time for an update Empty
PostSubject: Re: Time for an update   Time for an update Icon_minitimeFri Feb 01, 2013 4:04 pm

I had the money to pay for everything last night, but my rent is due and I wanted to get caught up on my bills because I was over 2 months behind. I also never save up for everything all at once, I have always found that it is easier to go piece by piece, this way you can hit any and all sales that happen.
Back to top Go down
Romanian
Senior Administrator v.5
Senior Administrator v.5

CoD4 Leader
Forum Administrator
Server Administrator
4000+ Posts
CoD1 1.3 Player
CoD1 1.5 Player
CoD2 1.2 Player
CoD4 1.6 Player
CoD4 1.7 Player
Artist

Time for an update Empty
PostSubject: Re: Time for an update   Time for an update Icon_minitimeFri Feb 01, 2013 4:54 pm

Rune wrote:
I had the money to pay for everything last night, but my rent is due and I wanted to get caught up on my bills because I was over 2 months behind. I also never save up for everything all at once, I have always found that it is easier to go piece by piece, this way you can hit any and all sales that happen.
Just don't wait too long with your CPU sitting around Wink
Back to top Go down
Rune
Rune

Forum Administrator
Server Administrator
Tech Guru

Time for an update Empty
PostSubject: Re: Time for an update   Time for an update Icon_minitimeSun Feb 03, 2013 1:58 am

Alright guys here is the next update to my new rig, I have actually selected parts for it.

Time for an update 2ludyjq

Kingston Beast Series 32GB 4X8GB Kits DDR3-1600 CL9 DIMM XMP Quad Channel Memory
NZXT Phantom 820 Full ATX Steel Case 4X5.25 6X3.5 2XUSB3.0 Audio and Mic Input Fan Control - Black
XFX 1000W PRO1000W Ltd Black Edition Single Rail 12V 83A 24PIN ATX Full Modular 80PLUS Platinum PSU
Seagate Barracuda 2TB 7200RPM SATA3 64MB Cache 3.5IN Internal Hard Drive
ASUS M5A99X Evo R2.0 ATX AM3+ DDR3 AMD 990X 3PCI-E16 2PCI-E1 1PCI USB3.0 SATA3 GBLAN Motherboard
EVGA GeForce GTX 660 Ti Superclocked+ 980MHZ 3GB 6.0GHZ GDDR5 2xDVI HDMI DP PCI-E DX11 Video Card
ASUS BW-12B1ST Blu-Ray Writer 12X BD-R 16X DVD+R SATA Black Retail
Back to top Go down
Romanian
Senior Administrator v.5
Senior Administrator v.5

CoD4 Leader
Forum Administrator
Server Administrator
4000+ Posts
CoD1 1.3 Player
CoD1 1.5 Player
CoD2 1.2 Player
CoD4 1.6 Player
CoD4 1.7 Player
Artist

Time for an update Empty
PostSubject: Re: Time for an update   Time for an update Icon_minitimeSun Feb 03, 2013 3:49 am

Two things:

1. Why 32GB of RAM? 4-8GB is more than enough.

2. Make sure the Blu-ray player comes with software to actually play Blu-rays. Otherwise, you'll have to purchase the software yourself. It can be pretty expensive.
Back to top Go down
*noodle*
Senior Member v.5
Senior Member v.5

Time for an update Empty
PostSubject: Re: Time for an update   Time for an update Icon_minitimeMon Feb 04, 2013 1:51 pm

Nice looking rig, 32 gigs of ram heh, planning on rendering any large animations soon? I guess theres no kill like overkill might be true in this case.
Back to top Go down
XSniper
Senior Member v.4
Senior Member v.4

1000+ Posts
CoD1 1.3 Player
CoD1 1.5 Player

Time for an update Empty
PostSubject: Re: Time for an update   Time for an update Icon_minitimeTue Feb 05, 2013 7:36 pm

I have no clue about tech so it up to you.
Back to top Go down
http://wclan.org/index.php?action=profile
pspROCK
Member v.4
Member v.4
pspROCK

Time for an update Empty
PostSubject: Re: Time for an update   Time for an update Icon_minitimeSat Feb 09, 2013 2:28 pm

I'd say wait. I wish i could buy something like that.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

Time for an update Empty
PostSubject: Re: Time for an update   Time for an update Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Time for an update
Page 1 of 1